As we are heading into Spring, severe weather season is upon us. Severe weather can cause flooding, hail, damaging winds, and tornadoes. These weather events can lead to power outages. Here is how you can prepare for a power outage.
- Emergency kit: the best way to prepare for a power outage by creating an emergency kit with things that you or your loved ones might need. Ideas of things to add would include first aid items like bandages, gloves, eye dressing, gauze, sanitizer wipes, and any medicine that you might need in an emergency.
- Purchase appliances with surge protection: purchasing appliances with surge protection or installing protection can safeguard your valuable electronic devices. You can also plug devices into a separate grounded circuit to isolate them when a major appliance restarts after power is restored.
- Report it to the company that sends your monthly bill: This will help you to have electricity quicker and help the energy company to fix the problem as soon as possible.
- Turn off all appliances: it is best practice to turn off appliances like your furnace/air conditioning, water heater, oven, and light switches. You should leave a lamp switch on to be aware when power is restored but you should only leave one on to prevent a circuit overload which can cause a blown fuse.
- Keep freezer and refrigerator doors closed: food will typically stay frozen for 36 to 48 hours if the freezer is full and the doors are closed. To prevent refrigerated items from expiring you can pack items into a cooler with ice
- Listen: during a power outage you should listen to the radio on a battery-powered radio or use your smartphone to check the news and see updates from your electricity company. A power outage could be a sign of oncoming severe weather and it is best to be prepared for the harshest weather like high winds or even a tornado.
All of these tips can help you and your family to protect yourselves during a power outage. Spring is a popular time of year when there is a power outage because of severe weather that comes along with the warmer weather. Preparing beforehand is the best way to stay safe during a power outage or any emergency situation. Make sure your electricity provider is prepared as Lykins Energy Solutions, click here to see our electricity services